Historic Birmingham Cathedral receives funds for repairs
Birmingham’s historic St Chad’s Cathedral in Birmingham is to be given the chance to carry out essential repairs using a share of £8 million from a government fund.
The cathedral, opposite Snow Hill Station in Birmingham city centre, has received £227,000.
Other Midland cathedrals have also been given a share of the funding, with Worcester Cathedral set to benefit to the tune of £250,000 while Coventry Cathedral will receive £216,000.
A total of 31 sites across England will benefit with the biggest recipients being Clifton Roman Catholic cathedral in Bristol, which has received £600,000 for roof repairs, while Portsmouth’s Anglican cathedral has been awarded £595,000.
The money comes from the £20 million fund announced in the Budget to maintain cathedrals in recognition of the role they would go on to play in First World War remembrance events.
Chancellor George Osborne said: “Many Britons will have visited a cathedral this summer to attend a remembrance service marking the Great War and this £8 million grant, part of £20 million I announced at the last Budget, will ensure that these beautiful and historic buildings remain much-loved places of worship and remembrance for another century to come.
“Our great cathedrals are the envy of the world, bringing many tourists to the cities of the UK, so this investment is also great value for taxpayers.”
St Chad’s is one of Birmingham’s architectural gems. Sited on the edge of the Jewellery Quarter St Chad’s is also the Mother Church of the Catholic Archdiocese of Birmingham which covers five counties.
It was designed by the renowned 19th century architect Augustus Pugin, who was responsible for many distinctive Midland churches and buildings, and was completed by 1841.
Pugin is chiefly remembered for his pioneering role in the Gothic Revival style and his work culminated in the interior design of the Palace of Westminster. He also designed one of the palace’s most distinctive features, the clock tower affectionately known as Big Ben.
Pugin was also active in Ireland, having been invited there by the Redmond family to work initially in County Wexford. He arrived there in 1838 at a time of greater religious tolerance, when Catholic churches were allowed to be built. Most of his Irish work consisted of religious buildings, including St Aidan’s Cathedral in Enniscorthy, County Wexford.