Mixed emotions for pet hospital relocation
Vets and nurses have closed the shutters on a Birmingham pet hospital for the very last time after 54 years of treating sick and injured pets.
Vet charity PDSA’s Pet Hospital on Hagley Road in Quinton closed prior to the opening of its brand new facility in Oldbury.
“It’s emotional, as we have so many happy memories of this place, but it’s time to move on,” said Sue Hanke, PDSA’s client services manager.
“With so many more pets now needing our charitable service, we desperately need more room and modernised facilities.”
PDSA’s new hospital on St Matthew’s Road, Oldbury, is called The Marian and Christina Ionescu Centre of Surgical Excellence and has state-of-the-art operating theatres, a critical care ward and the latest diagnostic and surgical equipment.
The new £1.8 million Pet Hospital has been built thanks to the generous donations of supporters and members of the public.
Supporters can still donate to new hospital’s appeal by texting ‘BUILD’ to 70099 to donate £2, or text ‘BUILD’ to 70800 to donate £5 (standard network charges apply).
They can also contact PDSA’s fundraising team on 0800 0199 004 to find out how to support the appeal.
PDSA’s dedicated team of vets and nurses have been providing over 90,000 treatments a year and can see up to 190 pet patients every single day.
The new pet hospital will allow staff to increase these numbers by around 25 per cent to provide over 112,000 treatments annually.
PDSA treats over 470,000 pets in its 51 pet hospitals UK-wide every year.
The charity, established in 1917, offers free vet treatment to the pets of people in need.
To find out more about the PDSA visit www.pdsa.org.uk.